Thursday, September 30, 2010

You Don't Know What You're Missing Until Its Gone

One of the main reasons that I decided to come to Virginia Tech was because I have always been under the impression that it was one of the, if not the best, agriculture school in the state. I love the fact that I can make a right hand turn off of Rt.460 onto Tech's campus, and see a cornfield on the left and the dairy complex on the right. The core values of agriculture life (hard work, perseverance, and sense of community) are ones that are instilled into every aspect of campus. They seep out of the classrooms, flow through the halls of the dorms, and even rise up out of the cracks in the drill field sidewalk and hover over the campus just like the early morning fog. It is almost as if the heart of my life at home has the same beat as my new life at Virginia Tech.
And people thought I was crazy when Tech was the only college I applied for. I might have put my chance of admittance on the line, but for me, it was Virginia Tech or bust.

Now that I’ve begun the process of attending classes, participating in school functions, and doing all the things that a normal freshman should do, I rarely get to experience the part of Virginia Tech that I enrolled for. I realize that as a first year student I need to get all my general education classes out of the way, and I like my classes a lot. Well, except for the Math Emporium. I hate that place. Why is it that the super-smart math students learn in a classroom, while the not-so-great-at-math students, who actually need the one on one help, have to learn it online in a huge, bland, hollowed out old J.C. Penny’s building jam packed with Mac computers? I also hate Mac computers.

Anyway…

So, I’m doing all the things I need to do, but I haven’t reached the point of doing what I want to do. I feel slightly disconnected to what I came here for: agriculture.

I know, I’m complaining, but this is a blog after all.

So, what do you do when you feel like something’s missing?

Stay as busy as possible.

I’m now working in the State FFA Office, joined Collegiate FFA and am interested in being on the executive board, keeping an eye on auditions for A Capella groups and musicals, and, even after 5 years of complaining about it, I have even contacted the VT Livestock Judging Coach to get a schedule of practice dates.

I might be missing my agriculture roots now, but I think that if I can stay busy (which I don’t think will be hard to do), time will fly and before I know it, I’ll be on my way to identifying breeds of cattle in an animal and poultry science class instead of solving a function for the variable X in Math 1015.
A Picture I Took During My First VT Football Game at Halftime
It was obviously the Orange Effect Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment