Sunday, October 10, 2010

Midterms... In More Than One Form.

The leaves are starting turn colors and drift lazily to the ground. Student outfits have morphed from breezy sundresses to scarves and sleeves. These changes could only mean one thing:
Midterms are approaching.

The actual thought of Midterms it not really that intimidating for me. I have enjoyed all my classes so far, in fact, I haven't been late or tardy to any of them... yet.
(I heard that its approximately $80 per class that you skip so I don't plan on missing any more than I have to.)
Another reason Midterms are not that scary is because I only have two of them. Most of my classes are pretty laid back. My Music in America class in one of two classes that I will have a Midterm in, and I love the professor! Mr. Cole reminds me of a retired Santa Clause turned orchestra director.
A Midterm I have already taken was in my Leadership class for the Residential Leadership Community. While I haven't heard  the results, I feel pretty confident with how I did.

However, I think that reaching the middle of my first semester also means I should do a Midterm Evaluation of my goals that I've set for myself, mainly on self discipline and personal focus . Here is my own personal Midterm:

Successes :
I’ve been doing well on my first learning objective: stop procrastination. 
While I don’t always begin the assignments on the day that they are assigned, I am sometimes completing them a day or two in advance, which is a brand new for me.  I am also making progress in my learning objective three area: following the deadlines I set for myself. Sometimes I finish assignments on Sunday night, but for the most part I don’t work on the weekends because I get the majority of my work done by Friday at 5:00pm.
Struggles:
 The greatest struggle that I’ve had so far with my action plan is to take the time to learn materials thoroughly. There are so many distractions that my original plan of working in one hour study blocks is not getting done. There have also been several times during the week where I have stayed up past 1:00am trying to get assignments done, which is not very efficient.
Suggestions from some friends:
Just keep working on time management, but instead of an hour long block of study time make a half of an hour block instead and see if that is more efficient. Don’t shut out weekend study breaks: maybe an hour or two over the weekend for study will help me work ahead even more.

Hopefully, with the help of my friends and my own self discipline, I can continue to grow in my personal goals. Wish me luck on this Midterm!

No comments:

Post a Comment