Sunday, October 31, 2010

Opportunity Cost

At the beginning of the year, my Ag. Econ. professor, Kurt Stevenson, told his class of 150 students that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Everything has a cost attached to it. For whatever choice or decision we make, something has to be given up. This is Opportunity Cost.

Kurt stressed that this doesn't necessarily have a monetary form, it could also mean time, effort, or other opportunities lost for each path we chose. This got me thinking about the choices and opportunities I've had in my life and where I might be if I had gone another route.

If I hadn't ran for a State FFA Office:
There was one point during my senior year that I thought about not running for a State FFA Office. There were several reasons why I almost didn't: I didn't want to get behind in school if I took the year off, my insurance company wouldn't cover me if I wasn't a full time student, and it was yearlong commitment that I had already dedicated my entire high school career to. However, if I hadn't ran for a State Office, I would never have had the chance to travel abroad to China, to network with students and industry personnel alike, or to know the feeling of representing something larger than just myself.

If I hadn't decided to attend Virginia Tech:
As the time was nearing for me to make decisions about my educational future, this deliberation arose: To attend Blue Ridge or not to attend Blue Ridge, that is the question. My father was strongly pushing for me to attend the local community college. I could see why: the tuition is less, I would have more one on one time with my teachers, and it was close to home. But it was the last benefit, being close to home, which gave me the incentive to NOT attend Blue Ridge. As I'm sure many graduating students must feel, I needed to have some space from my family. I've always been super close to them and I knew that another two years at Blue Ridge would make it harder for both me and them when the time came to move on to a 4 year university. Since I have been at Virginia Tech, I might have spent more of my savings, but I have met some wonderful people, experienced all sorts of diversity, and have enjoyed living on my own while still staying close to my family through phone calls and cards.

If I had continued to play piano:
The one path that I chose not to go down, and truly regret, is the decision to not continue with my piano education. I started taking piano lessons in the 3rd grade, and after 8 years I was totally burnt out. It wasn't until I sat down last spring to play my last recital piece that I learned that I have retrogressed. All the money that my parents spent on my learning timing, rhythm, and practicing scales was almost a complete waste. While I can still read the music, my ability to sit down and play almost anything is now gone. If I had continued to play piano, who knows what level I might be at today?

In an email that my stepmother, Dana, sent me, she gave me this advice: "Every path we take or choice we make teaches us something. Keep learning - that is what life is about."

Even as I write this week's blog, I think of other things I could have done differently, but also look forward to the opportunities coming up. Yesterday I delivered pumpkins to the White House, today I received a job offer, and in June, I'll be in route to Costa Rica on a free agricultural tour.

Who knows what tomorrow holds, as long as we take the opportunity to find out.

Austin and I delivering pumpkins to the Whitehouse on behalf of the Virginia Pumpkin Growers Association, Carrol County, and Virginia FFA Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment