Friday, November 5, 2010

If I could look into the future...

Now that I am in college, reality is beginning to set in that one dayI will need to find a job.
But as a young person entering the work force, what do I have to offer?

Background
I want to be an agricultural educator, working with middle or high school students in a classroom and shop setting to teach about the agriculture industry. This position also requires my time to be utilized as an FFA advisor, following the FFA mission statement as a coach and mentor to FFA members.
I want to teach in one of the 180 schools that have an established agriculture department, particularly in my home county of Augusta.

Utilizing My Strengths
Adaptability - Students that come through this program are very diverse and I feel that my strength with adaptability will allow me to reach students across differences in background, and learning styles to best suit their needs.

Communication - In a position that requires a lot of talking, communication will serve me well. Hopefully by incorporating an interactive learning environment with my communication skills, my students will walk away from my class with a better understanding and appreciation for agriculture.

Positivity – I will have a close relationship with agriculture students, because many of them will take agriculture all 3 or 4 years they are in school. Remaining a positive role model for students may shape their outlook on life.

Harmony - Personalities can clash and the harmony strength smooths over any confrontations that may arise with the student body, or with faculty and staff.

Context - My history of agriculture and working with students will allow me to reflect on what I have learned in the past, remold it, and use my experiences in my future classroom.

Educational and Training Requirements
By the time I graduate, I hope to have a bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Sciences, with focuses on animal and poultry science and horticulture and a minor in Leadership and Social Change.
I will also need to receive my Master’s degree in Agriculture and Extension Education in order to teach.

Essential Knowledge
To be an agriculture teacher, you should be as diverse as the industry itself. I’ll need to know everything from production livestock, horticulture, mechanics and woodworking, welding, farm business management, food science, and emerging technology in the industry. This knowledge will carry over to the FFA side as I prepare teams for different contests, in addition to the leadership and teambuilding traits that I need to pass on to my students.

Key Challenges
Job security is one area that may be a potential challenge because of state funding and the county’s view of importance of the program.
The challenge of being denied travel opportunities with students to different events due to budget cuts is another area of concern.

Betty Bender says "When people go to work, they shouldn't have to leave their hearts at home.” I hope this quote proves true for me in my future career!
My own high school agriculture teacher and FFA advisor, Eric Stogdale.


No comments:

Post a Comment